The N.C. Department of Correction is deciding how best to spend $2.5 million reforming a probation system which state and federal audits deemed broken.

The 2 percent budget cuts implemented by Gov. Mike Easley don't directly affect public safety agencies — but the next year will still be tight.

""We don't want to slow down on the priority projects"" said Robert Lee Guy, director of the Division of Community Corrections.

Here we are trying to expand resources and at the same time we're going to have to cut and reduce spending. It's going to be a tough legislative session.""

Last week" corrections officials presented their priorities to the N.C. General Assembly Joint Legislative Corrections" Crime Control and Juvenile Justice Oversight Committee.

They called for additional staff and an improved information sharing to help the overwhelmed system cope with high case loads.

The shooting deaths earlier this year of former Student Body President Eve Carson and Duke graduate student Abhijit Mahato highlighted the problems because the suspects were cited for previous probation violations.

Audits conducted earlier this year by the National Institute of Corrections and Wake and Durham county probation offices yielded recommendations for reform ranging from changes in state criminal statutes to better communication.

""The arrest alert … is our top priority. We've been working on that around the clock since the summer"" Guy said.

The arrest alert, which will be ready for use at the end of November, will alert probation officers when a person in their charge is arrested.

Right now, it could take weeks for a probation officer to find out when their charge violates probation — the case with Lawrence Lovette, a suspect in both Carson's and Mahato's deaths.

The IT system would have caught everything"" said N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, co-chairwoman of the joint oversight committee. I'm hoping we can make a change.""

The department is also looking to combine information systems so that magistrates and officers at every level will have access to the same criminal records.

A pilot program is being conducted in Wake County by a local technology firm.

The department's other priority is new staff. They decided last week to hire 20 officers and six supervisors.

But Guy said he is concerned about officers' salaries. He plans to ask for a salary raise for them — probation officers are paid $6""000 less than the Durham Police force.

""They have a morale problem. They really can't function"" Kinnaird said in support of a pay raise for probation officials.

That affects public safety and the safety of the people who are working there.""

The department's meeting next week will discuss further budget allocations.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.