Republicans rally in N.C.

Palin
Supporters at Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin?s rally Thursday at Elon University crowded her in an effort to get an autograph.

CONCORD — This election has U.S. Rep. Robin Hayes" R-N.C." singing ""Get in line"" brother.""

That gospel song about heaven might better apply to N.C. Republicans' efforts in a state unexpectedly in play.

In two rallies last week" Republican presidential candidate John McCain and running mate Sarah Palin courted middle class voters" a crucial voting bloc for a much-needed N.C. win.

""I'm gonna give you some hard facts"" McCain said. We have to win North Carolina.""

North Carolina is one of a handful of traditionally Republican states up for grabs. The state last voted for a Democratic president in 1976"" but polls show the two men back-to-back with only 15 days until Nov. 4.

""‘Change we can believe in' is a very appealing message"" said McCain supporter Billy Kephart, 17, at Palin's rally Thursday.

The McCain campaign has been absent from the state until recently.

The national media has written us off"" McCain said. But they forgot to let you decide.""

McCain made his first general election visit to the state in Wilmington last week and returned Saturday with a 10"000-strong rally in Concord. Palin made a stop in Greenville two weeks ago and came to Elon University on Thursday.

Meagan Cook a middle school history teacher from Hickory" said it was good to see McCain in North Carolina.

""We're excited about him paying attention to the state" she said.

Joe the Plumber" who has become a symbol of working class Americans, made repeated appearances at both rallies.

We learned that Sen. Obama's economic goal is" as he told Joe is to ‘spread the wealth around"'"" McCain said. ""He believes in redistributing wealth"" not in policies that grow our economy and create jobs and opportunities for all Americans.""

That line resonated with Cook.

""I don't like the idea of redistribution"" Cook said. That's a socialist idea.""

With Palin"" who said at Elon that McCain is ""the only man in this race who has ever really fought for you"" and Hayes, who said in Concord that some hate real Americans who work hard and believe in God"" the party tried to convince voters of their record fighting for those like Joe.""

The Elon and Concord rallies drew distinct crowds. Those at Palin's crowd were younger and predominantly female. McCain's rally boasted of older voters and more veterans"" whom he recognized and whom the crowd honored with cheers of ""U.S.A." U.S.A." U.S.A.""

Most said they have already made up their mind on the race.

""Frankly" Obama scares the hell out of me" said Ineta Cherry, a Republican from Lexington at Palin's rally. I don't think he's truthful.""

David Freeman" an 18-year-old from Alamance who plans to cast his first vote ever for McCain" supported former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in the primary. He said he still plans to vote for McCain but that the addition of Palin makes him more excited about the ticket.

""Palin gave the campaign some spice"" Freeman said. McCain doesn't have much charisma.""

Sen. Richard Burr" R-N.C. who introduced both Palin and McCain" described her as ""one of us.""

""Most of you feel like you already know her" Burr said in Elon to chants of Sarah Sarah" Sarah.""

Republicans at the two rallies last week said they're anxious about McCain's chances Nov. 4.

Several said they're worried about new voters"" who they think are more likely to vote for Obama.

""The urban centers can come out Democratic"" said Wayne Nash, a Republican from Winston-Salem. The rural areas are still red. It's a tough call.""

Most attribute current President George W. Bush's unpopularity as one of McCain's greatest challenges.

""The reason people are reluctant to pull for a Republican ticket is because of the last eight years" Freeman said.

Both McCain and Palin emphasized that McCain is not like Bush.

John McCain is his own man Palin said. And McCain garnered one of the largest cheers when he repeated his line from Wednesday's debate: If Sen. Obama wants to run against George Bush" he should have run for president four years ago.""

In the days counting down to Nov. 4"" the race in North Carolina is becoming increasingly tense.

Elon police removed one protestor from the rally Thursday. Palin remarked that ""Maybe he needs to stay and learn a little bit.""

Other Obama supporters stood outside the Elon rally with posters.

""We have been called terrorists" communists the anti-Christ" said one Democrat, Elon first-year Cedric Pulliam. I've been called trash.""

""That's because you're different from us"" said one white woman walking by Pulliam, who is black.

In Concord, Hayes reminded supporters to be what we are"" — kind.

""We need to be sure we don't say something stupid"" he said.

All we have to be is what we are — the greatest and the kindest and the best nation ever.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.