RALEIGH — N.C. Democratic leaders old and new gathered Monday morning at the state fairgrounds to reiterate the platform of their party's presidential candidate.

That show of support comes as the candidate Barack Obama is making repeat visits in an attempt to turn the traditionally Republican state Democratic.

The leaders addressed various aspects of Obama's platform but their theme was clear — they all said they think Obama's platform will bring more prosperity for middle-class families which they said would help everyone in turn.

U.S. Rep. Brad Miller D-N.C. who is also a member of the House Committee on Financial Services" talked about the economic crisis.

""Now I want to give some credit where credit is due. John McCain has gotten one thing gloriously right in his campaign"" Miller said. He said early on that economics was not his strong suit.""

Miller said McCain's reactionary leadership contrasts with Obama's attitude and record on the financial crisis.

""(Obama) has shown that he is solid and responsible and has good judgment"" Miller said.

Former four-term N.C. Gov. Jim Hunt spoke about farming issues — which he said are paramount for the state, where agriculture is one of the biggest industries.

His bills have helped my neighbors and my friends and agriculture in North Carolina"" Hunt said.

The farm bill that passed this year is essential for the industry to be successful, Hunt said.

John McCain said" ‘If I were president I would veto it in a New York minute" Hunt said. Isn't that amazing? Isn't that amazing? And farmers don't know it.""

He said McCain's opposition to legislation that benefits farmers demonstrates that the Republican candidate is out of touch with the needs of North Carolinians.

When highlighting Obama's education platform" U.S. Rep. David Price D-N.C. cited his experiences as a former teacher and said needs he has observed are addressed in Obama's plans.

Price said Obama's plan includes efforts to fully fund No Child Left Behind and alleviate a nationwide teaching shortage that is severe in North Carolina.

N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall said she's also concerned McCain is out of touch" particularly in the area of health care.

""He would run the health care system in a Republican McCain administration just like Wall Street was running the financial services industry" Marshall said.

He doesn't get it on the financial dilemmas we're in" and he doesn't get it on health care.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.