For 30 minutes Tuesday night Student Congress members debated stickers.

For 20 minutes they debated bookmarks.

While these might sound silly two student group requests for advertising money sparked discussion about what Congress should fund.

The German Club and the Millennium Village Project proposals dominated Tuesday's meeting with questions about how to publicize events.

The German Club the first to present their request asked for $479 to fund several programs including an Oktoberfest. Part of this money would be used for printing and publicity through reusable signs and stickers.

But members of Congress debated how much money should be given for printing and publicity for which the club requested $200. One representative proposed an amendment to strike the amount to zero.

For 30 minutes" Congress members debated whether the stickers German Club wanted were good advertisements or if people would even notice them.

""The question is: do stickers that advertise for a student organization's event" are those considered items of personal gain" or are they considered items of publicity?"" asked Mike Morrill" chairman of the finance committee.

No consensus was reached but Congress ended up granting $50 to the club for the publicity and printing.

Later in the meeting" a similar publicity issue arose with a proposal by the Millennium Village Project.

The organization requested $350 for a poverty awareness fundraising event.

The group asked for $74.62 to buy cardstock to make bookmarks as advertisement.

But a debate arose over whether the bookmarks would be for ""personal gain"" — items for the personal use of group members that don't benefit the student body as a whole.

In the midst of the arguments" Jon Curtis faculty advisor for student government" asked a question to help resolve the debate.

""Is it something people would run out and buy on their own?"" Curtis said.

Morrill said if a student would buy something on their own it would be considered personal gain.

Looking at Curtis's statement" and deciding the bookmarks would qualify as advertising the amendment to grant the Millennium Village Project $50 for printing and publicity passed — a $400 total for the fundraising event.

While Congress spent considerable time debating what constituted good publicity methods" representative Ben Mickey said the body can't proscribe an across-the-board rule to ensure Congress funding.

""When we are looking at groups"" we want to take it case by case.""

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide