UNC considers dance minor

Dance
Members of the Star Heels Dance Team practice in the fencing room of Fetzer Gymnasium on Oct. 13. Groups on campus lack studio space.

A new task force will see if instituting a dance minor at UNC is actually feasible.

The task force to be led by Bill Andrews associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences will examine the budgetary considerations" space and faculty that would be needed.

""These things the task force needs to look into" so it's not just a philosophical thing" Andrews said.

Student Body President J.J. Raynor pledged in her campaign platform to advocate for rehearsal space for performing arts groups, with the idea that more space would be a prerequisite for a minor.

This semester, students have raised the need for a dance curriculum at several forums on campus.

The task force, which includes dramatic art department Chairwoman McKay Coble and music department Chairman Tim Carter, also will investigate students' need for the minor.

I know that we've had a large indication of students taking dance classes. Lots of students signed up for the dance lifetime fitness courses"" Andrews said.

Does that mean there's an interest in students actually minoring in dance? I don't know.""

Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education Bobbi Owen said minors are created mostly on a need basis" with consideration for how many students will take part and what available resources already exist.

Several forums already have been held to gauge student interest.

About 50 students at a forum Oct. 13 all raised their hands when asked if they would enroll in a dance minor.

The students said there are more than 20 dance groups on campus" but only one shock-absorbing ""sprung floor"" located in the Center for Dramatic Art.

This provides a limited amount of rehearsal space for dancers, since undergraduate and graduate dramatic art students receive first priority.

They also said UNC is losing interested dance students to several nearby institutions.

Duke University has both a dance minor and major. Department Business Manager Christina Price said about 250 students enroll per semester, including four to five UNC students.

At James Madison University, which has an undergraduate population of about 16,600, only two or three students per year graduate with a dance minor, said Dance Office Manager Nancy Kupec. The program has been in place for more than 13 years.

Originally we were set up as physical education and evolved from that"" Kupec said.

UNC already has several fitness courses relating to dance, which could be included in a minor.

By April 2009, the UNC task force will present its recommendations about the minor. Even if a dance minor is agreed upon, it will take time to implement.

This office represents a few faculty"" Andrews said, and it doesn't mean what they recommend will happen.""