Sporting name tags and black T-shirts parents could be spotted all over campus for Family Weekend.

The weekend gave parents an insight into their children's lives at UNC" introduced them to the campus and brought out different emotions about children leaving the nest.

""Every parent wants to see that their kid is happy" and that's really why we come" said Cheryl Morlote, whose only child is a first-year at UNC.

I think everybody's really happy to see their kids" to make sure they're acclimating to their new surroundings" to make sure that they're not overly homesick.""

This is the first time that many parents" like Kim Bochenek" have seen their children since move-in day.

""We've just been hanging out and visiting"" said Bochenek, mother of first-year Samantha Bochenek. You know"" getting caught up.""

Weekend activities included a barbecue with performances by several of UNC's a capella groups and a brunch at the Carolina Inn.

Many families also attended Saturday night's football game.

Some parents said they were surprised to see how much their children have matured in only a few months.

""It's wonderful to see where she is living and how she's made it her own"" said Laura Hull, mother of Lynne Hull.

It's totally different coming now than it was during C-TOPS. Now it's hers. It's fun just to see how she's owned it.""

Hull's other daughter" Erin a high school senior in Winston-Salem" also came for the weekend and decided that UNC was her top choice for college.

""I tried really hard not to like this school because I thought it would be too big"" Laura Hull said. But all I can say is why would anyone ever want to go anywhere else?""

Though she said it was nice to see her daughter's college life" Hull said she wasn't interested in many of the family programs offered. Instead she spent time walking the campus to see her daughter's class buildings.

Nancy Mullins visited her two children at UNC this weekend: Katrina a senior and Patrick a first-year.

She said she enjoyed the weekend but had one complaint — the price of the event.

While many events were free" some of the most popular ones charged. The barbecue cost $15 per person and the brunch $32.

""I think it's a great thing to have" but I think it would be really nice if they could lower the price somehow Mullins said. You feel like you just paid that tuition check" and then there's this.""

Morlote said it was hard letting go of her only child.

""It's hard" said Morlote. But the fact that he's happy makes is better. You're supposed to go out and grow up and go off and live your life. So as long as he's happy" I'm happy.""