From the president all the way down to state legislators the N.C. Democratic and Republican parties are hoping to sweep today's election.

Through voter turnout induced by the presidential election and  straight ticket voting" the two parties are hoping that this election will bring lower-ballot races into a larger victory party.

""The presidential race helps everyone" especially in turnout" said Kerra Bolton, spokeswoman for the N.C. Democratic Party.

She added that a cohesive Democratic ticket could help just as much.

This election is about the economy" and Democrats have a better plan for the economy Bolton said.

But the other side of the aisle is touting the exact same advantage.

I think that when our candidates share similar messages that helps said N.C. Republican Party spokesman Brent Woodcox.

A lot of our candidates are stressing small business job creation" the economy — how we can get people back on the road to prosperity.""

During most election cycles" candidates for lower offices are often ignored because voters don't know enough about them but the campaigns are making sure to coordinate efforts to get those uniform messages across to undecided voters.

Since low-ballot races have fewer campaign volunteers" information on straight-ticket voting and party voter guides play an important role in ensuring a coattails effect.

""Folks who are in charge of the field effort out there make sure that they're pushing … the importance of straight party ticket voting and down-ballot voting"" said Alina Johnson, campaign manager for Josh Stein, N.C. Senate Democratic candidate for Wake County.

They've done a really good job with that at the presidential level.""

Johnson said that the campaign for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama is making this year's election a little bit different when it comes to the state's political dynamics.

""North Carolina traditionally votes Democrat (on the) state level down from presidential Republican. This year is different in that the presidential race has generated a lot of excitement among … newly registered Democrats"" she said.

The dichotomy between state and federal party preferences in North Carolina is also affecting the strategy of the Republican party.

With a Democrat-dominated N.C. General Assembly, the GOP is trying to bring in a wave of Republican legislators with a Republican governor or senator victory.

When you have an anti-incumbent mood and a desire for new leadership" I think that helps our Republican candidates because they have been in the minority for several years" Woodcox said.

He referenced Charlotte Mayor and Republican candidate for governor Pat McCrory, as someone who could bring lower-ballot Republicans into office on a campaign for change.

In Forsyth County, U.S. Rep. Mel Watt, D-N.C., has held his seat for 16 years.

However, Forsyth County Republicans are hoping that the voter turnout for Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain will help Watt's challenger Ty Cobb get elected.

With the turnouts for McCain and the Republican Party … he does have a chance" said Forsyth County GOP Chairman Bill Miller.

The state party has organized statewide with Victory '08 and McCain — both are working very closely together with not only the state party but all the way down the line to the local counties" he said.

Only Election Day will tell whose coattails will have the greatest effect, but for Bolton, the answer is clear.

We haven't seen the same kind of enthusiasm with the McCain ticket as we've seen with Obama" or the diversity of enthusiasm" she said.

There's an enthusiasm gap.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.