Student Congress will not play a role in a student open forum related to the anti-abortion display in Polk Place last month.

Instead Carolina Students for Life will be in charge of the forum which will take place after a pro-life speaker presents.

The decision ends a weeks-long debate about how Congress should deal with the aftermath of the controversial display.

In last Tuesday's student affairs committee meeting a resolution to investigate Carolina Students for Life's abortion display was presented by Congressman Ryan O'Quinn.

But after much debate O'Quinn decided to withdraw his resolution and planned to just submit the proposal at Wednesday's full body Congress meeting instead.

He submitted a resolution to request a question-and-answer session sponsored by Carolina Students for Life on Nov. 10 at 8:30 p.m. in Student Union Room 3411.

Though the resolution was not passed the forum still will happen.

According to the resolution" the Oct. 22 and 23 display in Polk Place did not permit a full dialogue despite its intention to foster debate on campus.

The 18-foot-tall display featured graphic images of aborted fetuses and was met with student complaints because there was no detour around the display.

The discussion with Carolina Students for Life would be open for any student who wanted to attend.

O'Quinn said the resolution's purpose was to inform Congress members of their duty to their constituents.

""This resolution is also to remind everyone of the duty we have with spending student fees"" O'Quinn said.

The discussion will follow Carolina Students for Life's guest speaker Rebecca Kiessling's presentation, although students are not required to attend the speaker's presentation.

Kiessling is known for her Conceived in Rape"" speaker series" in which she describes her life as the child of a rape victim. Her speech is not being funded by Student Congress.

Congress Speaker Tim Nichols said the resolution wasn't necessary because O'Quinn had met with Carolina Students for Life" who agreed to host the forum.

""Congress isn't forcing this on them"" Nichols said. We don't have any authority of Congress to tell a group what to host.""

Congress had set O'Quinn's resolution to be introduced at the end of the meeting" but he never did.

Congress was discussing several finance bills but once the last one was discussed a few members jumped up to leave.

Before being officially adjourned O'Quinn reminded Nichols of his resolution.

But because the meeting had gone so late" he announced his decision to withdraw the presentation.

""It was just a procedural thing to maintain time"" O'Quinn said afterward. It was just to get the information out.""

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide