Saturday, June 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Statewide elections have left the board that votes on issues such as state financial matters and capital punishment procedures leaning heavily Democratic.

The newly elected N.C. Council of State which is composed of the heads of state agencies now is stacked 7-2 in favor of Democrats.

Incumbent Republican State Auditor Leslie Merritt was defeated by Democrat Beth Wood" leaving only two Republicans on the council this term — Commissioner of Labor Cherie Berry and Commissioner of Agriculture Steve Troxler.

The two might face tough odds in having their voices heard.

""It is a voting body" so it is tough when we are in the minority" Berry said.

When she was the only Republican on the council in 2000, Berry said that she usually couldn't get any of the members to second her motions.

That changed in 2004, when Troxler and Merritt were elected.

Marshall said the replacement of Merritt with Wood could weaken Republicans on the council.

It was clear that the auditor had a Republican agenda in the types of questions he raised" so that will change she said.

But Wood said she doesn't think the Democratic majority will change the council's dynamics.

We will be working for all citizens in North Carolina and do what is best for the state she said.

She said partisanship doesn't affect the council and Democrats won't be pushing any sort of a political agenda.

I haven't talked to anybody who feels like the Republicans are going to be bulldozed" she said.

Troxler also said he doesn't foresee a lot of change.

Since each member votes individually, party loyalties don't tend to come into play, he said, although controversial issues like capital punishment and state debt could be impacted.

On the issue of state debt, N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall said Republicans don't agree with the N.C. General Assembly passing bonds without voter approval.

It is more of a fiscal issue than a party issue" but the Republicans bring it up more" Marshall said.

Berry said Republicans tend to question the state's finances since debt has recently doubled.

However, Troxler said votes are less about party and more about personal opinion.

Sometimes we vote on party lines" sometimes we don't" but once again it goes back to individual votes.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide