Event salutes veterans

rotc

The ROTC color guard stands ready near Memorial Hall before the commencement of the Veterans Day ceremony Tuesday morning.

Edward Saleeby who served in World War II has attended military services for years as a way to honor his country.

He made sure to attend the Veterans Day ceremony Tuesday at UNC" though he's still in the process of moving from Pennsylvania and hasn't even taken up residence at his new home in Chapel Hill.

""I am honored and proud and pleased to be here"" he said.

Saleeby, an N.C. State University alumnus who will turn 87 this week, served in the U.S. Army and handled communications between headquarters and Europe.

The College of Arts and Sciences and the ROTC held the service outside Memorial Hall to pay tribute to Americans in uniform, past and present.

Several dozen veterans, families and students attended the service, which included remarks from Capt. Stephen Matts, professor of naval science, Bruce Carney, interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and Capt. Charles M. Gibson, a UNC alumnus guest speaker.

The ceremony, originally to be held in Gerrard Hall, was relocated because of the weekend fire.

Matts said he was glad the service was held outside Memorial Hal because of its proximity to The Carolina Alumni Memorial in Memory of Those Lost in Military Service"" monument" which was dedicated in April 2007.

In his speech" Gibson quoted former President Harry Truman: ""Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid.""

And so he set the tone for the rest of the ceremony.

Gibson expressed gratitude to past veterans and new volunteers.

""Veterans Day is the day we recognize not only those that gave their lives in war" but those who wear uniform" he said.

At the end of the ceremony, Gibson called upon veterans in attendance to stand when he named the particular war in which they had fought: World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Operation Desert Storm and other military deployments.

As flags snapped in the quiet autumn air, the Servicemen's Hymns were played.

Adam Kennedy, a senior peace, war and defense major and member of the Army ROTC, said Veterans Day was a fitting tribute to those who have served in the past.

It's a chance for everyone to come out and recognize those veterans"" he said. It's for those that served.""

Saleeby said he always has been willing and proud to take part in such ceremonies — just as proud as he was to serve.

""I'd go again if I had to"" Saleeby said. I love this country.""

Staff writer Hillary Rose Owens contributed reporting.