A newly elected president senator and governor preparing to take office could bring with them the possibility of a better understanding of immigration issues.

However few involved with the immigrant community said they expect much action on those issues" at least in the beginning.

""It's not something that I see is going to happen in (Obama's) first term"" said Ronald Batres, president of Carolina Hispanic Association. His main concerns will be the economy and health care.""

If Obama does work in the bipartisan manner that he promised" he will be unlikely to tackle such a divisive issue early in his presidency Batres said.

During the campaigns Gov.-elect Bev Perdue and Sen.-elect Kay Hagan took strong stances against illegal immigration said William Gheen president of Americans for Legal Immigration PAC" an N.C.-based national organization that advocates for reducing illegal immigration.

""If Sen. Hagan and Gov. Perdue keep their promises" then we'd be looking to see illegal immigrants on the run out of North Carolina very soon" Gheen said.

However, they are unlikely to continue those policies now that they are elected, he said.

Batres said Perdue's track record as lieutenant governor does not give a clear idea of what her immigration policy will yield for the state.

A key issue now is whether undocumented immigrants should be able to attend public higher education institutions, especially community colleges, he said.

Batres says there are concerns that Perdue, despite her campaign focus on education, will not allow undocumented high school students the opportunity to attend college.

Ron Woodward, director of the Cary-based organization for immigration reform N.C. Listen, said Perdue's presence on the N.C. Community College Board for eight years reflects an evasive stance on the issue.

Perdue approved of the board's decision to hire a consulting firm to weigh in on whether to admit undocumented immigrants to N.C. community colleges.

She kicked the can down the street"" Woodward said. Why are they on the board if they can't make up their mind?""

The Democratic leadership at the state and federal levels hasn't done much to address undocumented immigration" Woodward said.

As a result he is unsure of where leaders want to take the state and nation and whether the new leaders will be able to solve the problems.

Mauricio Castro an organizer for N.C. Latino Coalition" said his organization hopes that the new leadership overcomes the misunderstandings that have prevented reform in the past.

""We want to deal in realities not assumptions. We need to correct and clarify misconceptions"" he said.

Elected officials don't always understand the basics of the immigration issue, Castro said. However, he hopes that because Obama comes from an immigrant family, he will have a more in-depth understanding of the issue.

Political leaders, even those who are the most outspoken, generally don't have a strong enough grasp on immigration issues, he said.

My experience tells me we need to start with the very basics before we approach the big issues.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.