Hagan's upset victory stuns incumbent Dole

Hagan
Sen. Kay Hagan defeated U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Dole in a come-from-behind victory. She celebrated the win at a party in Greensboro.

GREENSBORO — A Democratic victory in North Carolina's U.S. Senate race seemed unlikely several months ago" but N.C. Sen. Kay Hagan beat incumbent Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole handily Tuesday.

""A little over a year ago" when I got into this race the press the pundits other politicians and all were ready to write this race off and hand Dole the keys to her office for another six years" the Guilford County Democrat said in her acceptance speech at Greensboro Coliseum.

Hagan's win was decisive enough that the race was called unofficially by 9:30 p.m., although Dole didn't concede until after 10 p.m.

It's been the highest honor of my life to be elected the first female senator in North Carolina history"" Dole told the crowd at her Salisbury rally.

In a speech that summarized her long-lasting political career, Dole said she has worked hard to serve the people of North Carolina.

I have done my level best to make you proud"" Dole said. I‘ve worn the mantle of my responsibility to North Carolina with deep delight.""

Hagan won with about 52 percent to Dole's 44 percent"" up even from Monday's polls. Libertarian Christopher Cole captured about 3 percent.

Some noted backlash from Dole's unpopular ""Promises"" ad accusing Hagan of accepting money from an atheist political action committee.

""The timing and misdirection were rather transparent. It went over like a lead balloon"" said Greg Sanders, who canvassed for the Obama campaign.

But that doesn't account for all of it"" added Sanders' wife Laurel. Her reputation makes up for a lot of why she's winning.""

Hagan's vote percentage marked a huge jump from the summer" when she trailed by 14 percentage points.

Last spring it seemed doubtful that Hagan not even well-known across the whole state could be a legitimate challenger for Dole who had an established reputation and a long career in Washington.

Dole tried to sell herself as the candidate with the experience and clout necessary to work in Washington" but Hagan likely benefited from a nationwide desire for change that has trickled down to the state level.

""She has the intellect" integrity and level of energy. She will make a name for herself in the Senate within the first year" said Mike Solomon of Greensboro, who worked with Hagan twice to elect former N.C. Gov. Jim Hunt.

Hagan made gains by portraying Dole as entrenched in Washington and out of touch with the state.

And the Greensboro resident's ample funding allowed her to wage an aggressive campaign that cast doubt on Dole.

Kay ran a great race — she spoke about the economy" jobs and issues people really care about" said Dave Hoffman, spokesman for the Hagan campaign.

Hagan promised Tuesday night to bring fresh ideas to the Senate.

To the North Carolinians who didn't vote for me" I am going to be working hard for the next six years to earn your vote Hagan said.

Because Democrats Republicans or Independent" the ideas we need to create good paying jobs and turn our economy around won't have a party label.""

Contact the State and National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.