RALEIGH — A group of about 50 black students protested as the N.C. State University Student Senate passed a resolution Wednesday calling for community service" diversity education and counseling for the students who wrote racist threats to President-elect Barack Obama on campus.

The protestors said the resolution was not harsh enough. They support suspension or expulsion for the students — consequences that were recommended in the original resolution last week.

""I don't feel like the slap on the hand of making them do community service will change their lives in any way"" said junior Genesis Atkins, who carried a laminated poster with the names of more than 600 students who supported harsher punishment.

The resolution — which passed 48-to-1 with three abstentions — was hotly discussed.

Maritza Adonis, the single naysayer, said that while the slurs did not personally offend her, she was voting to represent the students.

Students elected me here to represent them. That's why I voted no"" she said. I'm embarrassed to be a Wolfpack senator.""

Adonis said she felt that many senators were pressured to vote a certain way" and that they did not stand for the voice of the students. She said she talked to students on campus" who mentioned feeling unsafe as a result of the racist comments on the free expression tunnel.

""It's hard to be standing for the right thing"" she said.

Some senators called on the students crowded in the back of the room to offer their opinions, which overwhelmingly supported harsher punishment.

Atkins said the majority of the 600 signatures on the petition for stronger consequences were from  white students.

Many black students have become nonchalant because they don't think their opinions have weight, she said.

They don't feel like their voices are heard. And tonight they weren't"" she said.

Senate President Pro Tem Kelli  Rogers said that prior to the meeting, the resolution went through an extensive discussion process with students and faculty to ensure all opinions were heard.

However, Adonis said university officials are scared to heed demands for harsher punishment because the university is afraid of being sued.

I challenge the administration to get up" stop being scared and do the fighting" she said.

Greg Doucette, student senate president, said that despite some senators' condemnation of their colleagues, he was glad to see the student body and the senators so involved in the issue.

I think this is the most engaged I've seen the student body on any of the issues we've dealt with"" he said.

Sarah Lindh, a senator who supported the resolution, said she thought it was well-researched and well-written.

I think this was a perfect example of the legislative process in action"" she said.

Atkins, however, said she felt misrepresented by the senators.

I was disappointed that they were elected"" she said.

They voted against the students.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.