Price beats Lawson to keep congressional seat

Price
U.S. Rep. David Price handily beat Republican challenger B.J. Lawson to keep his seat in Congress. ?It?s a nice vote of confidence"? Price said shortly before 10 p.m. after the win for his 11th term was evident.

Despite Republican B.J. Lawson's success at attracting attention to his candidacy for North Carolina's 4th Congressional District long-term Democratic incumbent U.S. Rep. David Price D-N.C. will retain his seat.

Price's final margin of victory was almost 27 percentage points" according to unofficial tallies — not surprising for the incumbent now elected to his 11th term in the House.

""It's a nice vote of confidence; it's part of a larger victory for others: like (Kay) Hagan" Obama of course hopefully" Price said shortly before 10 p.m.

In his concession speech, Lawson said he would continue to fight for reform.

This isn't a battle that's going to be won overnight"" he said. So many people today look at Washington and know something's wrong.""

Supporters at Lawson's election watch party acknowledged that it was a difficult year to run as a Republican.

Lawson fought hard for publicity throughout the campaign. Even Price's supporters were impressed.

""He definitely won the battle of the signs. He has more signs in his district than any other opponent of David's ever"" said Price's wife, Lisa.

He's still got his work cut out after tonight taking those signs down.""

However"" Price's experience proved key.

""He is just now hitting his stride"" said Pat Spearman, the treasurer of the Price campaign.

What a lot of people don't realize is you have to serve in Congress for a long time to be able to move legislation through successfully.""

Daniel Wilkes" a 2008 UNC graduate who attended the N.C. Democratic Party election watch party" also said Price's years in Congress are a plus.

""Price has been a great representative in Congress for years. He'll be able to provide better leadership and press his progressive agenda in a Democratic Congress.""

The candidates' philosophies were fundamentally different in several areas" especially interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and economic policy.

During the campaign" Lawson stressed his firm belief in interpreting the Constitution as it is written — a belief which Price said will limit the federal government from providing essential services.

Lisa Price said Lawson's campaign was ineffective and overly negative.

""They made a lot of personal attacks on David"" calling him a liar and other inappropriate ways to campaign.""

Price said his priorities for his next term include executing the financial rescue plan" enacting another stimulus package and working on other important issues such as education health care and infrastructure reform.

During the campaign" the two candidates presented different economic plans.

Lawson favored deregulating the banking system and opposed the recently passed $700 billion bailout plan.

Bob Whitehurst from Wake Forest approved of Lawson's candidacy.

""I think at the very least we'll put some pressure on David Price to listen to his constituents.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.