'Project Heal' slogan was offensive inappropriate

On Nov. 13 at Player's Nightclub, Project Heal"" a campus organization, whose mission is to engage undergraduate students in international service experiences to facilitate culturally relevant and locally driven sustainable development in Lawra and Kumasi" Ghana" hosted a Wild, Wild West-themed party to raise money for their organization. As their efforts abroad are certainly commendable, I would encourage them to first understand cultural issues right here in America.

Their party's original tagline, Poke-A-Hotass with Project Heal"" presumably a pun on Pocahontas, was used to support the original theme of cowboys and Indians. As an American Indian student here at UNC, the event was highly defamatory and offensive.

Lately, there has been a lot of talk about an inclusive campus community. Yet at this institution of the people, America's first people"" (who still exist) don't feel welcome because of blatant ignorance such as this.

Once contacted about the event and the offensive description" the group changed the theme of their party yet the tagline remained. But this is not an attack on a particular organization just a friendly reminder to make an effort to understand and know before perpetuating ignorance.

Tyler Thomas
Senior
Carolina Indian Circle President