Save the trees: UNC should celebrate diversity with more - not fewer - decorations in the library

Don't be a Grinch.

Instead of removing the Christmas trees from UNC's libraries this year the University should instead deck the halls with holiday ornaments of more cultures and religions.

As a school that prides itself on its diversity UNC is acting imprudently by simply removing Christmas trees from Davis and Wilson.

A much better idea would be to embrace our diversity by showcasing other winter celebrations like Hanukkah Kwanzaa and the winter solstice as well as Christmas.

First the Christmas trees in Davis and Wilson are an annual tradition at UNC.

Removing them would disappoint the many students who have come to expect decorations during the holiday season.

Secondly for those who do not celebrate Christmas it would be an appropriate and illustrative statement about the cultural diversity of the University if the libraries put up holiday decorations from other religious and cultural traditions.

By doing so UNC would add to the rich diversity of this campus rather than subtract from it.

And from a purely aesthetic perspective sprucing up the libraries a little bit during the final exam period would be a nice holiday respite.

A Christmas tree menorah and kinara together in the lobbies of Davis and Wilson would be an uplifting and welcoming sight. But more importantly it would underscore the student body's diverse background.