Sexton struggles in defeat

Sexton
Cameron Sexton had his worst game of the year Saturday" throwing 14 incomplete passes and one interception. He also lost one fumble.

COLLEGE PARK"" Md. — Cameron Sexton will have a lot to remember from his time stepping in as the starting quarterback for the 2008 North Carolina football team.

But Saturday's stinker against Maryland is one he'd much rather forget.

""It was easily the worst football game I've played this year"" Sexton said. This'll go down as one of my worst.""

Sexton appeared to be out of sync all day. If his passes weren't thrown over the heads of receivers" they were too low. Or too far behind.

Or in the case of his last toss to someone wearing the wrong color jersey.

Down 17-15 Sexton had one final chance to orchestrate a drive into field goal range. But when his third-down pass was intercepted by Maryland defensive back Jamari McCollough" the Terps sealed the victory.

""That wasn't a really good throw" to finish off not a very good day" Sexton said.

That third-down play was indicative of Sexton's performance. The Tar Heels were faced with 11 third downs during the game. All 11 times, they put the ball in the hands of their quarterback.

Sexton completed just one pass for first-down yardage in nine tries, and he came up short on two scrambles, coughing up the football on one.

The final damage: 1-11 on third down (a 9 percent conversion rate), with two turnovers.

We're 1-of-11 on third down conversions" we've got no chance UNC coach Butch Davis said. We got beat up on time of possession" so it makes it extraordinarily difficult to score.""

After the game"" Sexton was unable to explain where he faltered.

""I don't have answers for you on that because I don't have answers for myself"" he said. I played poorly today. I didn't play well.

""We win and lose as a team" and it's a team effort but as the quarterback of this football team I have a little bit greater responsibility" I think. I left so much on the field.""

North Carolina's offense as a unit left a lot of points on the field. It drove inside Maryland's 21-yard-line three times but came away with just six total points on those drives.

Sexton and the offense even inherited the ball on Maryland's 33-yard-line after a Terrapin fumble. But three incomplete passes later"" UNC was punting again.

""We didn't take advantage of some great field position" Davis said. We had opportunities inside the 20- 25-yard-line where we had to settle for field goals. And by not converting the touchdowns" it's going to certainly come back to haunt you.""

Sexton completed 10 passes for 166 yards in the game" including a 59-yard touchdown to Cooter Arnold on a deep pass that was tipped by a defender.

But with T.J. Yates getting another week healthier on the sideline" it was the 14 incomplete throws and the pick that summed up Sexton's day.

""I never got into rhythm" he said with a sigh. I just" I was off. I don't know how to explain it — it just wasn't my day today.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.