Student housing needed: Affordable student housing that is close to campus is lacking but essential

(Affordable student housing that is close to campus is lacking but essential; closing Town House won't help)

Town House Apartments has been granted at least a one-year reprieve. This is good news for students who depend on this cheap housing that is close to campus.

But unfortunately Town House and its 111 rental units will probably soon be torn down to make way for a complex of single-family homes.

In the push to build high-end housing complexes developers and the town shouldn't forget about the large population of students that lives off campus and needs affordable housing.

Student housing isn't necessarily a development priority — but it should be.

Though the housing market has been hit hard in the recent economic downturn the stream of students who need off-campus housing hasn't — and won't — diminish.

And bringing more students closer to downtown would benefit the local economy and make the area a more lively place.

The owners of Town House have agreed to sell their property to the Ram Development Company if its plans are approved. The Chapel Hill Town Council has not approved the project which has been on the table since 2006. And economic concerns have tabled the project — for now.

So Town House Apartments will stay open for the time being. But once the Grove Park plans are approved Town House will be razed.

The proposed Grove Park complex will have 346 units and 580 parking spaces. Close to 15 percent of the units will be designated as low-cost. But the development doesn't cater to students the way that Town House does.

Earlier in November plans were announced to build Stonecrop Apartments on West Franklin Street. This complex will be a good low-cost housing option for students that is also close the campus.

It's unfortunate that Town House Apartments will probably be torn down in the near future.

Students need affordable housing and it's up to the town and developers to help fill that need. Right now they're not doing a very good job.