It may come as a surprise to some in the area that the Triangle has enough talent to produce a three-day music festival using almost all local bands.

Proving this to the unconverted is one of the main missions of Troika the annual local music extravaganza that will happen all over Durham tonight" Friday and Saturday.

""There are a lot of people who know how great music from N.C. is" but there are a lot of people who don't know what's in their own backyard and might not necessarily go to a great show by a great band any given Saturday" said Kyle Miller, cofounder of Durham's Churchkey Records, who helped to plan this year's festivities. 

The fact that there's a festival" and there are so many bands" and it's all over town; there is a higher profile to that.""

Troika boasts 62 bands this year" 52 of which are from the Triangle area. Only six are travelling from outside of North Carolina a fact that founders of the festival say is a step forward.

Troika started in 2002 as the Durham Music Festival. Changing names in 2004" the festival began expanding to include artists that were not from this area.

""One thing we have done over the years is add the national touring acts"" said Melissa Thomas, chairwoman of this year's festival and member  of the effort since its beginnings.

We kind of had to check ourselves and say" ‘Is that a good thing to do" and do people want that?'""

Thomas said that growth in the area's talent base made Troika able to thin out its national acts.

""We have this growing talent pool"" she said. It keeps getting bigger and better.""

Though most of the acts may be from right here at home" one of the acts with the highest national profile is from Olympia Wash.

Kimya Dawson" who has gained a great deal of national recognition for her work on the soundtrack of the popular film ""Juno"" will play Troika's main show at the Carolina Theatre on Friday.

But even though Dawson may not hail from N.C., she does have ties to the area.

I am a friend of Melissa Thomas and I really like what she tries to do for the community there in Durham"" Dawson said in an e-mail. When I was touring a few years ago I was asked to play at a ""Piggy Princess Party"" for a little girl in her yard"" so I did that. I think that might actually be how I met Mel.

""And now you guys have my dear friend John Darnielle (of the Mountain Goats) there as well.""

According to Miller"" Dawson's connection to North Carolina was important in the decision to bring her here.

""The fact she knows bands around here" and has played in bands around here and was interested in playing that's just a general positive thing for everybody" he said.

Another big change for Troika this year is the use of the Carolina Theatre, one of the area's most famous and historic venues.

In addition to Dawson, the show will feature increasingly popular local acts the Rosebuds, Bellafea and the Old Ceremony.

I think it's cool that we can involve such a historic site" said Miller. I think it appeals to the bands playing there" and I think it appeals to the fans.

""They don't have a ton of shows there. Not a lot rock and roll shows and not a lot of indie rock shows on top of that.""

Django Haskins of Chapel Hill's the Old Ceremony said that his band is excited to take part.

""Since I live in Durham" I'm excited about the opportunity to play at such a beautiful venue here in town said Haskins in an e-mail.

He also mentioned that he thinks the area really needs this festival to give its bands more exposure.

This area has such a great music scene year round but in the past it hasn't really had one big festival to showcase it like most similar places have" he said. Troika is starting to fill that void and we wanted to be a part of that.""

And though Thomas is also excited about the buzz the festival is able to create"" she said that she doesn't want Troika to become like other high-profile music festivals.

""We don't want to become that kind of $50"0 beer-endorsed festival" she said, being sure to mention the fact that she doesn't think the desire to keep Troika the way it is will make it an nonviable option anytime soon.

Our bands are becoming touring acts for other cities. We're at an advantage" she said. We might just be at the start of it" now that I think of it.

""After six years"" we might be taking the training wheels off.""

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.