FRIDAY"" 5:30 P.M. -- One woman is dead after being hit by a car on N.C. 54 late Thursday.

Police have identified the victim as 43-year-old Gloria Espinosa Balderas of Carrboro.

Two others were transported to UNC Hospitals with serious but non-life threatening injuries after an eastbound 2000 Mitsubishi struck the three as they tried to cross the street.

The driver of the car was Durham resident Micah James Millis"17" according to police.

Gunter said seven people were attempting to cross N.C. 54 near the South Columbia Street bridge at about 10:30 p.m. Four made it to the median" but the vehicle struck the others. Balderas was pronounced dead at the scene" he said.

It is not an incident of hit-and-run and Millis has not been charged with any crimes" said Lt. Kevin Gunter" Chapel Hill police spokesman. But Gunter said that the investigation is ongoing and could last more than a week.

There are not crosswalks in the area where they were walking"" Gunter said.

Balderas is the fourth person to die in Chapel Hill since May from a collision between a vehicle and pedestrian.

Valerie Hughes" a radiology imaging specialist for UNC Health Care" died after being struck by a Chapel Hill Transit bus Oct. 27 while crossing South Columbia Street.

In May"" a bus hit and fatally injured Scottish exchange student Lisa Carolyn Moran at the intersection of South Columbia and Manning Drive while she was jogging outside of a crosswalk.

Two days later" Barbara Boone Sims a ChapelHill homeless woman was struck and killed by a vehicle at the corner of Weaver Dairy Road and Perkins Drive.