UNC offense steps up in NCAA Tournament

msocside
Senior Michael Callahan scored the tying goal in Sunday?s game and was one of four to net a score in the Tar Heels? second- and third-round games.

CARY — The North Carolina men's soccer team hadn't scored three goals in more than a month.

They hadn't taken more than 13 shots since then either.

But with one slight flick of the ball that all changed.

With the UNC's third-round NCAA match knotted at two in overtime a header from freshman Sheanon Williams found forward Brian Shriver just outside the box.

Immediately upon its arrival Shriver settled and chipped the ball back into the packed box. As it floated over a crowd of players senior Garry Lewis stood on the back post" unmarked.

""I swear it was like in slow motion" I couldn't believe how open I was Lewis said.

So I just concentrated really hard and luckily everybody just froze" and it was just a tap in.""

Call it what you will" but it gave the Tar Heels three goals for the first time since Oct. 18 as well as their 14th shot of the game.

For a team that has struggled offensively recently its past two games have shown otherwise.

On Tuesday against Jacksonville UNC took 18 shots. And though it only yielded one goal Shriver and freshman Billy Schuler constantly broke through with chances.

At one point late in the game with the Tar Heels ahead a through ball found a streaking Schuler with a one-on-one opportunity against Dolphins' goalkeeper Joey Sanchez.

He was unable to convert" but his play showed that the team was still looking to create chances.

""We kept pressing away" and we were finally rewarded" coach Elmar Bolowich said.

Though these words were spoken Tuesday, their bearing was more apparent against the Flames five days later.

One minute into the match, Shriver gathered the ball and half-volleyed a shot right at University of Illinois at Chicago keeper Taylor Kelliher — making his first start for the Flames after the team's starter hurt his shoulder in training.

About 15 minutes in, a free kick from Lewis found Williams on the backpost. His header fell just wide.

Both were golden chances, yet neither fell.

And when captain Michael Callahan missed a wide open shot just minutes into the second half, it seemed none would.

We battled through and we got the opportunities and took them" Bolowich said Sunday. That was our call all game long" you need to take the opportunities.""

It seemed Callahan and Lewis were listening" and with three minutes left" Callahan struck a rocket to knot the game.

""I think in the tournament what matters really is the team's will to win"" he said. And that's really what came out. We just wouldn't accept losing this game.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.