Orange County's goals to protect programs that provide shelter food and medical care might fall short given the county's budget woes.

Officials from Orange County Social Services asked commissioners in a meeting Thursday for $702000 to maintain their programs in the coming financial year including $300000 to extend service hours at two health care centers.

The demand for health services exceeds what the county can provide in its two centers during normal hours said Orange County health director Rosemary Summers. The extra money would fund hours later at night or during the weekend.

But with a projected $9.5 million countywide budget shortfall — about 6 percent of a typical operating budget — social services might have trouble finding the funding they need.

County Manger Laura Blackmon has asked departments to prepare for a reduction in temporary staff and not to plan on new equipment or vehicles.

Social services would have to hire temporary workers to staff its health care centers' extra hours.

All of the money social services needs might not come from commissioners.

Officials expect help from anticipated federal aid" though it's too soon to tell how much.

""The stimulus package is only in the third inning"" said commissioner Barry Jacobs, who is also a sports writer. So don't get alarmed.""

Officials from social services estimate that the proposed stimulus would provide medical insurance to up to 1"000 county children.

But aid from Washington can have a drawback officials said. The county would need an estimated $100000 for administrative costs of managing the additional insurance cases.

Stress on social services has been building as the recession continues. Officials estimated that 150 more families are receiving food stamps from the county each month. And 30 percent fewer residents who come to county health services have health insurance.

Library plans

Commissioners discussed plans to improve the county's public library system.

Staff are suggesting opening a Southwest Regional Library that would cost an estimated $3885000 before 2013.

Orange County currently spends $17 per capita on libraries $7 less than the state average and $18 less than Chapel Hill's.