Don't cut community colleges: Community colleges should be among the last to suffer budget cuts

It is easy to overlook community colleges' budget cuts but this system is one of our state's most vital assets and funding must remain as close to normal levels as possible especially during the recession.

As a result of state budget cuts Gov. Bev Perdue is cutting funding for the N.C. Community College System by 5 percent.

It is understandable that some might want to decrease the community college system's funding — after all other agencies have received similar cuts and it seems only fair.

But access to community colleges is essential when unemployment is on the rise and many people are being forced to switch industries.

Not only are community colleges essential for future employment but they are also crucial for the state as a whole.

If North Carolina is to make it through the recession and remain competitive in national and international labor markets the community college system must operate at maximum capacity — even if other agencies' funding must be proportionally decreased as a result.

N.C. public schools will only receive a 2 percent cut.

Community colleges should receive a similarly low reduction. Local community colleges are an important educational resource particularly during a time of recession when many people are seeking new marketable skills.

Durham Technical Community College President William Ingram pointed out that historically hard economic times have resulted in more adult students enrolling at DTCC to make themselves more competitive in the workplace.

Just this spring DTCC experienced a 10 percent increase in enrollment and future increases are expected. Comparable increases are occurring with the other 57 colleges in the system.

During her gubernatorial campaign Perdue made a promise to provide free community college education in North Carolina. Not only has she reneged on that promise but has now cut the system's budget by 5 percent.

Although the severity of the state's recession was unpredictable this particular budget cut is unacceptable.

The state should attempt to find alternate forms of cutting costs to ensure that community colleges are able to enroll as many students as possible while ensuring the quality of education is not diminished.