Don't lock us out: Dorms should open earlier so residents can settle in

Students should be allowed ample time to move back into their dorms after school breaks.

Students living in dorms had little time to prepare for the spring semester as residence halls did not open until Sunday morning.

After being away from school for almost a month students deserve the opportunity to return to UNC and have several days to readjust and prepare for their classes.

Besides the chore of unpacking some students found themselves moving into different rooms for the first time especially those who spent the fall semester abroad.

Students also need to have time to purchase books and supplies for spring classes.

Finally allowing students to return earlier eases the inevitable traffic problems that result when everyone is forced to return simultaneously.

Had Housing and Residential Education given students a wider window for returning such problems would have easily been avoided.

Allowing students to return to their dorm rooms several days prior to the first day of classes is standard policy at most universities. While classes did not begin until Jan. 7 at both N.C. State and Duke students were allowed to move in as early as Jan. 3 and 4 respectively.

At UNC students were forced to wait and rush. While the academic calendar states that the semester officially began on Jan. 9 dorm residents had to wait two extra days to even enter their dorms.

Rick Bradley assistant director of communication & assignments of housing and residential education acknowledged the inconvenience caused to dorm residents. He also noted that additional expense was one rationale for opening facilities late.

But avoiding the hassle of rushing to return to campus would have been well worth the extra costs.

Bradley said that the housing department is likely to revise its policy and allow students to return several days prior to the start of classes in the future.

Students will welcome this revision with open arms.