First-year Rachel Carrier lost her voice and couldn't stop coughing. She didn't know what exactly was wrong with her" but it wasn't long before her suitemate started coughing" too.

""After I had been feeling really sick" my suitemate started showing the same symptoms I had" Granville Towers resident Carrier said. She probably got it from using the bathroom we share.""

College campuses — with their frequently trafficked bathrooms" study areas and residence halls — provide the perfect setting for the spread of infectious diseases and viruses.

And as students settle back into residence halls staying inside because it's cold infectious diseases proliferate" experts say.

""Living in close quarters with lots of people can put you at a much greater risk of catching things like upper respiratory infections"" said nurse Michelle Camarena, co-chairwoman of Campus Health Services' Infectious Disease Control Committee.

Disease surfaces aren't limited to dorms — from the stairwell railings in the Undergraduate Library to chairs in the Student Union, many areas on college campuses are easy spreaders.

Sharing bathrooms can raise the risk of the spread of bacterial infections such as toe fungus and skin diseases.

Unfortunately bacterial and fungal elements are everywhere in our environment"" said Dr. Thevy Chai, co-chairwoman of the Infectious Disease Control Committee.

But, she said, respiratory diseases are the ones to worry about, not fungus.

Only when the conditions are right would you be able to get that sort of infection.""

Lately"" Campus Health employees say they've noticed an increase in the number of patients seeking treatment for flu-like symptoms.

""There's a wide variety of symptoms" Chai said. Body aches fevers" belly discomfort.

""The best thing you can do is get the flu vaccine.""

Even though the flu shot won't guarantee immunity from influenza" it will significantly reduce any symptoms said Dr. Peter Leone" a UNC Medical School physician and expert on infectious diseases.

Concern over acquiring sexually transmitted diseases from touching objects that have been touched by the infected also worry some who live on campus.

""You can't get HIV" herpes or pubic lice just from sharing a living space with a person who might have those diseases Leone said. If you're sleeping with them yes" but you mostly acquire them through skin-to-skin contact.""

Despite public perception that dorms are hot spots for spreading the common cold" the possibility of getting sick shouldn't raise fear among those who call the residence halls home Leone said.

Good hygiene greatly reduces the likelihood of most illnesses.

And Chai Camarena and Leone all agree that a few simple habits can protect against a medley of illnesses: wash hands thoroughly keep up with important vaccinations — and don't skip the shower shoes.

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.