Encourage homeowners to practice sustainability

Preserving collective rights"" sounds nice" but what does it actually mean?

Does it mean accountability for our actions and the consequences for our neighbors our environment and ourselves?

Well maybe by most definitions" but The Daily Tar Heel editorial board (""Preserve collective rights"" Jan. 27) seems to think that we can protect collective rights by enforcing homogeneity.

Is it ridiculous to imply that a resident of Carrboro, or anywhere in the U.S., should not have the right to unsightly features of environmental sustainability"" like compost heaps or bins" solar panels garden fences rain barrels or clotheslines?

First of all" ""potential homeowners"" or anyone wanting to pursue a more sustainable lifestyle via the simple means listed above, should not have to worry they might be in violation of some perfect lawn"" neighborhood ordinance.

People have a right to lawfully use their own property as they see fit"" especially when it is clearly positive-impact use.

Describing these sustainability measures as ""unsightly"" borders on the absurd: is a clothesline or garden" typical of nearly every culture and generation" really so hard on the eyes?

If you want some really ""unsightly"" residential trends to regulate" take a look at those gas-guzzling and absolutely unnecessary sport utility vehicles parked in the driveways and four-car garages? Or at the chemical-laden and water-intensive fake green lawns that serve no purpose.

We should celebrate encourage and even restrict the ability of neighborhood groups to prohibit great sustainable practices such as energy efficiency wise water use and gardening.

Good work Carrboro Board of Aldermen and thanks for thinking.

Andrew Crosson

Senior

Political Science History