For Chapel Hill psychic Millie Wallace business is booming.

As the economy worsens more people line up to have their palms read and cards interpreted to anticipate their financial future. For some" the advice offered by stock brokers and investment bankers just isn't cutting it anymore.

""We see things" Wallace said. Some accountants just guess at what kind of stock to invest in­" but people come to psychics because we know.""

Wallace gave a reading to one woman who was stuck working a mediocre job. The customer is now a doctor who drives a Lexus and rents out seven properties"" said the psychic.

With what she calls her ""gift of God" Wallace believes her clients see results.

She said she has seen a significant increase in financial questions from her regular client base in the last year and a half. And new clients are coming to Wallace for money tips.

I guess you don't have to be a psychic to know that it's not a good time for stocks" said Helane Lipson, a Carrboro psychic.

Though business hasn't significantly increased, Lipson said her steady stream of regulars asks for financial advice now more than ever.

Raleigh phone psychic Rev. Su Windsong also gets a lot of money-related calls. She said about half the calls she has received on her new network are from people whose relationships have suffered as a result of the financial crisis.

People are actually calling for relationship advice because their partner is very tired"" she said.

They're wondering if it's them or if it's something in their partner's life.""

Windsong was active on the phone about 7 percent of the time in November as the global financial crisis continued to worsen.

Now she is active about 3 percent"" a decrease she attributes to a growing sense of calm.

""People are seeing that the sky didn't fall"" she said.

But Robert Bushman, who teaches accounting at the Kenan-Flagler Business School, doesn't recommend seeking psychics' advice.

I think psychics can be interesting and entertaining" Bushman said. But when it comes to my financial wellbeing" I think I would probably skip the psychic.""

For sophisticated traders" predicting complex market shifts isn't all guesswork Bushman said.

The best investment advice is to build a diversified investment portfolio he said.

Windsong admitted many people who consult psychics do so in secret because while the service is accepted in society as entertainment it is not often considered a profession to be taken seriously.

People who feel a loss of control over their lives may be attracted to the idea of going to someone they perceive as having more knowledge Windsong said. The banker and the broker are no longer seen as trustworthy she said.

To help her customers regain financial security" Wallace advises against overspending.

Lipson suggests investing in technology.

""It's going to swing wildly" but it'll get better" Lipson said. A little hope goes a long way.""

Windsong said most people just want reassurance — a listener" a motivator" a cheerleader.

""And I'm happy to provide that"" she said.

Ultimately, the enigmatic nature of the profession guarantees a steady supply of skeptics.

I would stick to the psychics for love life and other things"" Bushman said. But I don't really know. It's a mysterious world.""

Top 5 questions people ask local psychic Millie Wallace

- Will I reunite with my significant others?

- Does my significant other love me?

- Will my marriage last?

- What field should I be in?

- What is my future?

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.