I'm still convinced the world won't unite until aliens invade our planet. But Obama may be the next best thing.

On Jan. 20 the more than one million Americans in Washington D.C. weren't the only ones cheering. People across the world joined in. Because we all — Democrats Republicans Independents Apathetics and Anarchists alike — have something to celebrate: inspiration.

Obama's wave of inspiration reached corners of the world long overdue for a dose of hope. Even if he doesn't turn his creamy campaign rhetoric into reality as much as he promised for the moment he has given people — lots of people — hope. And a little worldwide hope and inspiration are worth celebrating no matter who you are.

In Kenya inauguration feasts were washed down with bottled beer donning Obama's face.

At Obama's former elementary school in Jakarta Indonesia students spun in traditional costumes while watching the swearing-in.

Moneygall an Irish village celebrated its tie to Obama through a great-great-great grandfather with red white and blue decorations.

A couple in Cali Colombia" baptized their inaugural-born child ""Barack Obama Sandoval"" with the hope that he" like Obama will prosper from humble beginnings.

And here in Peru 12 shamans from regions of Peru Brazil Bolivia and Mexico met in Lima to conduct an Andean ritual that was reserved for Inca and pre-Inca rulers during ancient times. The name of the ritual Jatun Sonjo in Quechua" translates as ""Big Heart.""

""Today we dedicate it from Peru to Obama" because he is the first black president and his heart is big for the world" explained shaman Juan Osco to the Associated Press.

Envision millions of people from all walks of life and all cultures simultaneously celebrating one event. It's hard not to crack a smile, even if they're all celebrating with hope for different things.

More than anything" I hope he is a politician of equality. I make $345 per month. Just to buy a camera here I would spend two months without food. Imagine trying to support a child studying" explained Lucio Ferro, a national police officer based in Cusco, Peru.

As his eyes allowed a hint of a smile to escape, he remarked, I think he will make good changes because he has lived in need and felt what it's like.""

It was that same hint of a smile that every taxi driver" tour guide and waiter had after finding out I'm from the U.S. and they could ask me about Obama.

As his smile faded" Ferro said he also expects there will be less violence with the Obama administration because he has a worldly conscience. ""He'll have to fix all the errors of your previous president"" like the war with Iraq.""

Obama sparked life in villages thirsty for inspiration and caused simultaneous" worldwide celebration.

If Obamania has grown extreme it certainly is not unwarranted. No matter who we are we have plenty to celebrate.

Even if you disagree with Obama's policies you can't disagree with people believing in the U.S. again or with the hope in the eyes of people who have long forgotten how to believe in change.