Shine new light on panels: Chapel Hill must be held accountable for past promises on sustainability

Chapel Hill must maintain its focus on green objectives and should be accountable for sustainability goals set in the past.

In 2000 Chapel Hill Town Council passed a resolution to pursue the goal of fitting 500 area buildings with solar panels by 2010.

Also in 2000 a committee was established to oversee the process. By 2004 more than $20000 of public and private funds had been allocated for the project.

But by late 2007 the committee dissolved and its responsibilities became the job of the town's new sustainability committee.

So what happened to the solar panel resolve? Despite a large groundswell of support this resolution appears lost in time.

According to former solar panel committee member Tom Wills the committee significantly contributed to education about solar panel installation. Its efforts generated much interest while it was active.

But the committee never determined if the final goal was reached because of measurability difficulties.

However that doesn't mean it can't be done.

A reasonably accurate number could be reached by reconciling residential tax break data and records from local solar panel installation companies.

The solar panel initiative was a great idea. Solar power is a smart way to be green and reduce carbon footprints.

But Chapel Hill cannot promote sustainability while simultaneously failing to meet past energy commitments.

This country's leaders are vocally pushing for change in energy practices and ambitious energy goals have been set.

At the national level President Obama has called for 25 percent of U.S. electricity to come from renewable sources by 2025.

And Gov. Bev Perdue is working towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by the year 2050.

The Chapel Hill Town Council should continue to play a part. That means being accountable for all resolutions past and present.