Air guitar: Look Mom no strings!

airguitar
GangstAIR jumps off stage in the final round of the 2009 UNC Air Guitar Championship. ?Sex" Drugs and Cocoa Puffs? author Chuck Klosterman helped judge the competition.

With a flutter of glittery eyelashes Lee Becker performing as Juan Andonly rushed onto the stage in a pair of tight checkered pants as the audience screamed his name. His time to air rock had arrived.

Rapidly wiggling his fingers on his imaginary guitar he fell to the ground and convulsed in a fit of pelvic thrusts.

Gerrard Hall boomed with this energy during the second annual Air Guitar Competition on Friday. In an atmosphere reminiscent of metal and glam rock concerts of the 1980s ten performers battled for the chance to be proclaimed UNC's ultimate air guitarist.

Professional air guitarist Dan Crane performing under the pseudonym Bjorn Turoque hosted the event and opened the show with his own display of fast fingers. The judging panel comprised professor Mark Katz author Chuck Klosterman and Daily Tar Heel Diversions Editor Jamie Williams.

Each ridiculously dressed air guitarist was judged on technical prowess" stage presence and air-ness.

Song choices ranged from Queen's ""Fat Bottomed Girls"" to the Power Rangers theme song.

Performer Mr. Fingers — sophomore Austin Douglas Johnson — started his performance in a suit and then stripped to a shirt and boxers while Daisy LaDeaux — sophomore Holli Crawford — ditched the air guitar and performed instead on an air banjo in her cowgirl boots" fringed leotard and hat.

Air guitar wouldn't be the same without the ability to take on the unique qualities a performer displays during the time on stage said last year's winner" Ross Mckinnon.

""The greatest thing about air guitar is the utter freedom"" Mckinnon said. There's no restrictions to your performance because there's nothing there. You're working with air.""

Michael Foote" performing as GangstAIR" won the competition after humping both sides of a speaker.

""It was a very sexual performance" so I give you a 5.69 (of 6) Klosterman said.

Foote said he never expected to triumph over his opponents but wore an ecstatic grin as he was presented with the $100 prize.

The audience was absolutely incredible Foote said. I beckoned" and they followed. I feel honored to be a part of the tradition.""

Foote joined with those who didn't win to air-play Freebird at the end.

""Air guitar is a performance and a motion to peace" Becker said. Make air" not war.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.