A proposal to establish regulations concerning the development of drive-through facilities in Orange County sparked residents' interest at a Board of Commissioners meeting Monday.

At the meeting a joint venture between the board and the county planning department" officials sought guidance on whether or not to prohibit the construction of drive-throughs altogether or create strict regulations.

The proposal emerged after concern that cars left idling in drive-through lines caused significant harm to the environment arose.

Many board members agreed that environmental reasons for prohibiting or regulating drive-throughs were pressing.

Chairwoman of the Board Valerie Foushee said that they understood the negative environmental impact of drive-throughs.

But she said it was important to consider both support and opposition for drive-throughs.

""Sometimes what we see as a convenience for some people really is a necessity for others"" said

The goal of the meeting was to determine the public's reaction to the proposals. The proposal will be decided on in April or May.

Flood regulations

Hundreds of Orange County residents pressed commissioners on potential changes in county flood zones Monday night.

Officials sent letters to 8,300 addresses in the county about the changes that many residents said were overly confusing.

Residents said they felt they were uninformed as they lined the walls at the meeting.

Commissioners deferred most residents' complaints and questions to the county planning department.

Contact the City Editor at udesk@unc.edu.         

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide