Budget shortfall could change buses

bus
People board the D bus in front of Sitterson Hall on Columbia Street.Bus service could soon be reduced in response to estimated cuts of $400"000.

Although Chapel Hill officials say it's too early to tell funding cuts could leave some bus commuters without a ride.

Preliminary estimates state funding cuts of $4000 or about 2.5 percent of Chapel Hill Transit budget said Augustus Cho chairman of the Chapel Hill Transportation Board.

Officials say cutting lines would be a last resort" but reduced hours of service are possible.

""There were some early estimates of changes in our state funding that would create a hole in our budget"" said Steve Spade, director of Chapel Hill Transit. But we're still looking to confirm that.""

Funding for Chapel Hill Transit comes from the federal government" the N.C. Department of Transportation and funds from UNC Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

The transit budget for Chapel Hill is $16.25 million for the current year. UNC pays $6 million" Carrboro $1.03 million and Chapel Hill $2.7 million. The state and federal government funds the remainder.

""Whatever they cut" we have to cut proportionally" Cho said.

Town officials say final funding will ultimately determine the routes that must be altered or terminated.

When the numbers do roll in, the board will give its feedback to the director who will then present in to the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Spade said that the transit system tries to cater to the University's needs as much as possible and that cutting lines would be a last resort.

We work with each community to figure out what the budget is going to look like and what their services are going to look like"" said Spade. Obviously the thing we try to do last is look at service cuts.""

Spade said it's still too early to tell the town's course of action concerning transportation.

""We're in tough economic times and it's going to be a difficult year"" Spade said. But we always prepare for the worst.""

But many residents said they're still worried.

James Malloy" a sophomore math major at UNC" lives at Odum Village and uses the bus two or three times a day.

""If any of the bus lines were cut" I would not make it to my early morning classes he said. I work as well" and I take the bus as far as I can.""

Alison Duncan" a senior at UNC" said she lives two miles away from campus. She said a cut would complicate her commuting schedule.

""That would be bad for me" she said. It's a five-minute bus ride so without it" it would create some difficulties.""