Cheers to Sakai: New course Web site is a good alternative to Blackboard

Sakai a new course Web site that is being tested by several UNC professors is the perfect replacement for the inefficient and limited Blackboard program.

Unlike Blackboard Sakai allows professors and students to customize features in a way that best suits their needs.

Students are given their own home page and personal workspace where they can update their profiles store documents and resources and maintain their schedules.

Sakai is essentially a combination of Gmail Twitter and Blackboard.

On Sakai course pages are easily navigable and neatly organized with lessons assignments a clear-cut grade book and a drop box where documents can be submitted.

The entire setup is easy to use clear-cut and refreshing compared to Blackboard's confusing and rigid format.

Sakai also has a calendar feature that organizes assignments tests and other important due dates for all classes into one schedule eliminating the need for students to carry around and update a weekly planner.

Most importantly Sakai greatly enhances communication among students and faculty" compensating for the common disconnect that exists between instructors and students in large classes.

The program has several collaborative features that reach beyond pointless ""discussion"" boards and would significantly improve the efficiency of online courses.

Blackboard is severely limited in its ability to provide efficient student-professor communication and does little to enhance the UNC online learning experience.

Sakai is a much more exciting" customizable and attractive program that will help offset the informalities associated with large classes through its ability to provide a more efficient discussion forum and a wider rage of online resources.

Bottom line there is absolutely no reason the UNC faculty should not decide to adopt Sakai.