Congress shouldn't have voted down referendums

Sixteen dollars.

That's what we in Student Congress saved you Wednesday.

We voted down two proposed fee referendums — a $6 increase to the Student Activity Fee and about a $10 increase to the Child Care Services Fee.

And I think we made a mistake.

Here's why: By voting down these fee referendums we first denied subsidized child care to your classmates and friends.

These people now face an uphill battle just to graduate and now what quality of care will their children receive?

Second we declined to raise the student activity fee which hasn't come close to keeping up with inflation. The more tangible result? It'll be harder for your student organization to get funded.

All that these decisions saved you was the price of a six-pack and a pizza.

Know what's worse? We didn't even vote down the fees.

We voted down your right to decide whether these causes merit the increases during the election.

Whether you're for or against these measures there's still a way to have your voice heard.

Petition drives are starting across campus to get these measures on the ballot for the Feb. 17 runoff. There's a lot of signatures to get in a very short time but if these programs —and your voice as an electorate — are more important to you than beer and pizza consider signing your name.

There's a box in the student government office in Union 2501 to collect petitions.

Ryan O'Quinn

District 8

Student Congress