Continuous enrollment will create 'training factory'

The worldwide financial crisis has hit everyone very hard and it was of course only a matter of time before students at UNC would feel the brunt of it.

On top of this a policy such as the continuous enrollment policy would seriously affect graduate students who have to conduct thesis or dissertation research abroad.

Not only do these graduate students have to manage to do their research and afford housing meals and other living expenses in their foreign country with any grant they may have received they are also required to be enrolled at UNC.

That alone poses an incredible financial burden on these students. Moreover students who cannot graduate after the 10th semester are left with few choices: work as a teaching assistant and receive a stipend from which to pay tuition fees and health insurance or work part-time to be able to afford these costs.

In the case of international graduate students like me there are additional problems that need to be overcome.

Continuous enrollment is compulsory to keep one's visa and student status. Off-campus employment is not allowed and eligibility for grants is limited. One generally has to find several small grants.

Certainly" the continuous enrollment policy in its current draft will not help attract or retain graduate students and certainly will turn education at a university into a ""training factory.""

The continuous enrollment policy needs to take into account the needs of graduate students — national and international"" undergraduate students and faculty alike.

A ""training factory"" image cannot ensure proper education for both undergraduate and graduate students" cannot expect support from UNC's alumni and will not help improve the University's reputation.

S. Marina Jones

UNC Graduate School

History