Since President Barack Obama signed the $787 billion federal stimulus state and local governments have had to sit tight and hope for the best.

It's not clear when" how or where the more than $6 billion expected to come to North Carolina will filter down through federal and state governments.

""I can't say exactly when it's going to start"" Assistant Orange County Manager Willie Best said. But we'll be ready to proceed.""

To help clarify the process" N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue is taking a new Web site live this morning.

The site ­— www.ncrecovery.gov — is modeled after the White House's own stimulus Web site and is intended to help residents and officials track how stimulus money is being spent.

It's the product of the N.C. Office of Economic Recovery and Investment which Perdue created to channel stimulus funds across the state.

A relatively small amount of money has been distributed already. Perdue announced $466 million for 70 highway and bridge projects Tuesday though none are in Orange County.

Officials have spent the last few months trying to put Chapel Hill" Carrboro and Orange County in the best position to a receive a portion of the rest of North Carolina's stimulus money.

""It's kind of a waiting game now"" said Todd McGee, a spokesman for the N.C. Association of County Commissioners. We're curious as well.""

When the time comes"" officials want to be set with ""shovel-ready"" projects that could receive funding.

The stimulus package includes several funds that could benefit local governments" including monies for health care social services and transportation infrastructure.

Orange County has identified construction of the $34 million Elementary No. 11 and several parks as possible projects.

Chapel Hill is hoping for millions to spend on projects like library expansion" street repairs and downtown lighting.

Carrboro's biggest project is a $3 million fire station.

The majority of the county's stimulus dollars will come from divisions of the state government like the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Some money also could come to the county and towns directly from the federal government.

But it's not known when.

""I don't know the timeline yet"" said Chrissy Pearson, a spokeswoman for Perdue's office. The governor is in the position of waiting for the feds.""

And for now" Chapel Hill Carrboro and the rest of Orange County are in the same boat.