DTH lacked coverage of swim victory and Brodie

The SportsMonday page from Feb. 23 lacked coverage of a monumental showing of Carolina pride — the second-place finish of the women's swimming and diving team in the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship meet this weekend in Maryland and more specifically the achievement of freshman Layne Brodie. I had to flip through the paper to page 11 before I found the four-sentence summation of Brodie's performance.

Brodie broke two ACC and UNC records in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events finishing first in both. Brodie's time in the 200-yard breaststroke qualified her for the NCAA Championship meet. The Daily Tar Heel should have recognized a UNC athlete who is going to swim for national acclamation for this school.

Brodie deserves an entire article on her determination in the pool her dedication to her sport and her love for this school. She at least should have received full recognition for her outstanding performance in the ACC meet. As a UNC student I want to be able to acknowledge my peers for their outstanding accomplishments while representing our school.

Layne Brodie knows what it means to be a Tar Heel and we should give her the recognition and support that she deserves.

Elizabeth T. Smith

First-year student