Duke Energy's generator is in fact a 'minor' pollutant

Duke Energy is building one of the cleanest coal-fired units in the nation at Cliffside N.C. Duke is installing environmental controls that will remove emissions at a higher rate than any existing pulverized coal unit.

In fact Duke's new Cliffside Unit 6 has never been classified a major emissions source. When the original permit was submitted Duke used standard industry emission estimates. These emissions were not regulated under the Clean Air Mercury Rule.

In 2007 Duke amended its application to build one unit and added more pollution controls. Duke did not recalculate emissions but divided the original estimate in half.

In October 2008 Duke and the N.C. Division of Air Quality undertook a precise estimate of emissions. It revealed that emissions will be low enough to qualify the unit as a minor emitter.

Duke is conducting this emissions assessment as part of the Maximum Achievable Control Technology review and in full compliance with Judge Lacy Thornburg's order.

That a unit as large as Cliffside 6 can be a minor source is a testament to how clean the unit will be. When Cliffside 6 comes on line four old units will be retired and 800 megawatts from other older coal-fired units will be retired over several years.

If you support a cleaner environment then support Cliffside Unit 6.

Garry Rice

Associate General Counsel Duke Energy