John Turner a beloved colleague and the first black dean at UNC" died Friday. He was 86.

Turner became dean of the School of Social Work in 1981 and was instrumental in transforming it into a nationally recognized institution.

""John had a vision for the school"" said Jack Richman, dean of the School of Social Work since 2002. He really set the tone and hired the faculty and we became a top 10 school of social work.""

During his tenure" Turner hired international faculty started a $5 million fundraising campaign and raised money for the construction of the school's current home — the Tate-Turner-Kuralt Building which is partially named for him.

Rebecca Brigham director of field education at the school and a student there during Turner's term said the construction of the Tate-Turner-Kuralt Building which was completed in 1995" helped make the school visible.

""Previously we were scattered all over buildings"" Brigham said. The new building has made us into a professional academic community.""

Even after his retirement in 1992"" Turner helped shape the course for the school's future.

""I would meet with John for lunch every now and then"" Richman said. He would tell me what he wanted me to do and I would take notes.""

Even as a prominent administrator"" Turner still had time to be a friend to staff at the school.

""Dean Turner was one of those people that wanted to always know you"" said Vanessa Mitchell, a computer support analyst at the school since 1987.

It was nothing for him to come up to your desk and say"" ‘How are you today? How are your children?'""

He even invited staff over to his house for pool parties.

""My children still remember Dr. Turner to this day"" Mitchell said, adding that he encouraged them to learn to swim.

As a social worker, Turner remained interested in helping people his entire life.

He was particularly interested in families" children and poverty. The state of African-American families was an interest for him" Richman said.

Brigham added that Turner worked incredibly hard"" to promote social work in the state.

""He was very passionate about social work"" she said. Social work changed under his leadership.""

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu