Fluet Lee win in uncontested races

rha
Residence Hall Association President-elect Christina Fluet (right) calmly celebrates her uncontested victory in Carroll 111 on Tuesday night.

Christina Fluet and Keith Lee won their student elections after running uncontested campaigns.

Fluet won the Residence Hall Association presidency while Lee won the Graduate and Professional Student Federation presidency.

Fluet a sophomore sociology major is the sixth candidate to run uncontested for the RHA office in the last six elections.

Before assuming her duties" Fluet said she wants to learn more about the RHA and what it does.

""I want to make sure I know what it entails"" she said. I think I have a pretty good hold on it.""

One of her main goals is to make sure students know the difference between RHA and the housing department.

Fluet has served as the Carmichael-Whitehead community governor since fall 2008. While community governors are usually elected in the spring" she was elected in the fall because Carmichael was closed for renovations last year.

According to current RHA president Michael Miller the responsibilities associated with her new position include being an intermediary between residence halls and other organizations and advocating student opinions to Housing and Residential Education.

Lee a graduate student in the computer science department" announced his intent to run for the GPSF position late in the game.

Lee only ran as a write-in candidate after hearing that no one else had officially declared interest in running for the office.

""Usually people are hesitant about the time commitment involved when they are juggling a 40- to 60-hour work week" a family with children a commute or obligations to their community" current GPSF president Cindy Spurlock told The Daily Tar Heel last week.

Despite being the only candidate to declare interest as a write-in, Lee only won by 34 votes. Eric Chow, a student in the school of pharmacy, came in second.

Speaking of Lee's qualifications, Spurlock said, His work ethic is amazing"" and he has the ability to articulate complex issues in a way that bridges divides.""

Lee served on the executive board of both Spurlock and Lauren Anderson's administrations.

Lee's platform stresses campus safety" affordable housing and manageable class sizes for teaching and research assistants against the University's tightening budget.