Sunday September 25th

Kudos to free tax help: Student Poverty Reduction Outreachmakes taxes less taxing

Filing accurate tax returns can be difficult especially for students. And without qualified assistance students could be missing out on tax breaks.

Students might not have high incomes but they could still be eligible for tax returns that save them money.

To ensure that students file accurately and save money they can opt to use a free service provided by a campus group.

Student Poverty Reduction Outreach will be providing free tax preparation assistance beginning Saturday.

The program focuses on low- to moderate-income individuals who might be eligible for a tax return.

Financially independent students could be eligible for such a credit.

These small tax breaks can really add up for cash-strapped students.

And students wouldn't have to waste money paying a professional to prepare their taxes.

The group's preparation service is part of a wider nation-wide initiative that equips volunteers to help lower-income individuals with basic tax preparation.

The volunteers preparing taxes are Internal Revenue Service certified.

Charlie McGeehan co-president of Student Poverty Reduction Outreach said that his group has filed returns for 25 to 50 individuals annually in years past.

Because of the recession he anticipates upwards of 60 this year.

Students who want to save money and begin the habit of filing accurate tax returns should take advantage of this free service.

For more information or to make an appointment call: 968-2794

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022