For Malinda Maynor Lowery the struggles of the Lumbee Native American tribe ring close to home.

Lowery born into the Lumbee tribe in Robeson County gave a lecture Thursday on Native Americans that examined the trials of her tribe during the 20th century" from the Jim Crow era of segregation until integration.

""I wanted to give people an overview of Lumbee history as Indians" Southerners and Americans" Lowery, a Harvard University professor, said.

Lowery holds a degree in history and literature from Harvard, a master's degree in documentary film production from Stanford University and a Ph.D. in history from UNC.

Titled Indians" Southerners & Americans: Race Tribe and Nation During Jim Crow" the lecture examined the development of the Lumbee tribe through segregation, conflicts with the Ku Klux Klan, World War II and eventually integration.

Lowery talked about how Native Americans had a history of treatment distinct from both whites and other minority groups.

Native Americans were discriminated against by whites in the United States, but those who served during World War II were treated the same as their white servicemen. Once they returned to America, however, they again were treated poorly.

They gave their loyalty to two groups" Americans and Indians but they wondered if that loyalty was returned" she said.

Lowery was enthusiastic about the number of attendees — about 50, including a few of her teachers from when she attended high school in Durham.

The rest of the crowd was made up of UNC students, several senior citizens and even a few students from Duke University.

Duke student Ciara Wirth, who said she is part Native American, was interested in Lowery's discussion about segregation in schools.

Wirth, a junior biology and environmental science and policy double major, said she decided to attend the lecture because she saw In the Light of Reverence"" a documentary Lowery helped produce, which deals with three tribal nations and their struggles to protect their homelands.

Wirth said it made her interested in concepts of culture and identity.

Lowery's husband, Willie French Lowery, also deals with concepts of Native American culture in his artwork, which is on display at the Love House on East Franklin Street.

It is a wonderful honor for our family"" Lowery said about her husband's exhibit. He is an untrained artist.""

She said her husband's art helps him to cope with his Parkinson's disease. His exhibit will be on display until the end of March.