Graduate students are skeptical of a proposed revision to enrollment procedures publicized last week.

UNC administrators have proposed a plan that would require graduate students to remain enrolled in the University and pay tuition while researching off campus.

Such research is highly suggested or required for some degree programs.

But some students are confused by the policy revision and are questioning their ability to pay University tuition during that time.

""You're asking a population without a lot of money to begin with to finance their education for even longer"" said sixth-year Russian history doctoral candidate Marko Dumancic.

He added that he doesn't think students are necessarily opposed to changes, but are worried financially.

The policy currently allows graduate students to unenroll from the University while conducting research away from campus or overseas.

Graduate School Dean Steve Matson and other administrators have proposed that graduate students apply for money from the existing graduate tuition incentive scholarship to help pay University tuition and fees.

Matson said there are no immediate plans to enlarge that fund, but administrators won't rule out the possibility of future expansion.

We would certainly make every effort to expand it if that became necessary"" he said.

Dumancic said some students, who refer to the tuition incentive program as the phantom fund"" wonder who will provide more money for the program's expansion.

A potential expansion could come from state money or private donations, Matson said.

Another issue for graduate students with the policy change has to do with tuition remissions granted by the state.

Most doctoral students are only allowed to receive state funding for their education for 10 semesters, Matson said. A typical doctoral program takes 16 semesters, he said.

If the tuition incentive fund is boosted by state money under the new policy, students who use that money will have to count research time as part of their 10 semesters.

The whole thing is just really complicated" and no one's sure how it will affect them" said second-year history doctoral student Patrick Tobin. They're just creating problems for themselves to solve.""

Chancellor Holden Thorp and Matson explained the proposed changes at an open house Thursday" which more than 50 graduate students attended.

Despite some students' concerns Matson said continued enrollment will benefit students by allowing them to defer student loans longer" qualify for health insurance and use University services such as library resources.

""I think they're all for it"" he said. I think they're just worried about how they're going to pay for it.""

The proposal has been in the works for two years and has been approved by the Faculty Council's education policy committee.

Matson said he expects it will be approved by graduate school administrators in April. The proposal would then go to Provost Bernadette Gray-Little" and if approved" would take effect in 2010.

""Whenever you ask someone to pay for something that they haven't been paying for in the past" they're going to ask questions" he said. But I really think they'll see it's in everyone's best interests.""

The exact proposal has not yet been published. It is expected to be posted online this week"" at which point students will be able to better articulate their specific concerns.

""Our actual concrete complaints are up in the air right now" said second-year sociology doctoral student Emily Danforth. At this point" we just don't know what's going on.""