Although plans are far from finalized for the proposed UNC satellite campus some residents already have concerns about its proposed northern exit road and the traffic it might bring to local neighborhoods.

The concern from homeowners stems from the possibility that the main exit of Carolina North will lead to a significant increase in traffic on the Weaver Dairy Road Extension.

The exit is planned to intersect Homestead Road at the same point as Weaver Dairy Road Extension.

Chapel Hill Town Council Member Laurin Easthom said the council agrees that there should not be a road connection from Carolina North to Homestead Road.

Easthom said the proposed exit goes against the Horace Williams Citizens' Committee Report on Carolina North" which serves as a guideline for the town's decisions concerning the campus.

The 2003 report recommends that the University limit use of the Carolina North campus as a cut-through for automobiles and protect local neighborhoods through proper roadway design and placement.

""(The northern exit) would provide avoidance of three traffic lights on Martin Luther King"" said Ed Bassett, a resident of a Weaver Dairy Road neighborhood.

I don't believe it is intended to be a major access highway"" but we believe that people may choose to use it to exit Carolina North.""

The proposed Carolina North campus is planned for 250 acres.

Residents fear heavy traffic flow from students and faculty who may choose to avoid Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard traffic by using the Weaver Dairy Road Extension instead.

To decide where the connector road should go" the University and trustees conducted a preliminary report that said the proposed location would be the most appropriate said David Bonk the long range and transportation manager for Chapel Hill.

But the town has not seen that analysis Bonk said.

University officials could not be reached for comment.

The town is also planning to conduct its own transportation study to determine the proper placement" which is scheduled to be conducted this spring.

Bonk said Carolina North's 50-year completion timeline makes it hard for the town to plan what will be needed.

""I think part of the dilemma is that when the University says it's needed" we're not sure when it's needed" Bonk said.

No plans have been finalized, Easthom said, and the council will continue to work with University trustees to make sure everyone's interests are considered.

Until then, concerns will continue to be voiced.

It's against town policy" Easthom said. It's against the current town council's wishes" and it's going to be a point of contention in future meetings.""