Ascella Vega started as a typical high school band. But the group stuck together through college and this weekend will get the chance to take a big stage.

The group a rock band composed of five UNC and N.C. State University students will perform Saturday night at Memorial Hall.

Ryan Wooten a UNC senior" plays guitar and performs backup vocals for the band. He said the band felt privileged to perform at the well-known venue.

""We saw Ben Folds there" Wooten said. To become a part of that legacy" we are honored.""

Since forming in 2005"" the band has built a strong identity and fan base while dealing with the rigors of attending college.

The astrological name was dreamed up by Wooten and N.C. State senior Gray Henderson. Henderson plays guitar and contributes backup vocals for the band.

N.C. State senior and drummer Reaves Greer said he thinks the name means something more now. Greer said the name makes him think of ""some of my best friends.""

Ascella Vega claims influences from classic rock bands such as Led Zeppelin but emphasizes that the band's sound is constantly evolving.

""We like organic sounds"" said Mark Voller, bassist for the band.

Fans appreciate this.

UNC first-year Reed Turchi said he likes the polished sound of the band and the fact that they don't over-distort.""

A commitment to these instinctive organic sounds is central to the band's identity.

In 2006 the band recorded in Nashville and was told that they should make some changes — like shortening their songs — to gain broader appeal.

Lead singer and N.C. State senior Adam Newson said the band decided to take all advice with ""a grain of salt.""

Band members said it has no formula for its songwriting"" with each member approaching it differently.

""All of us know exactly when something's right"" Greer said.

The band performs covers and original songs but tends to play covers — which tend to be crowd pleasers — more frequently at college shows and more original songs at other venues.

The band started out playing at a lot of fraternities and sororities, and later began playing at local festivals. Chi Phi fraternity is presenting Saturday's show.

The more stuff they write the better it gets"" said UNC senior Mac Stewart, who has been to at least 15 of their shows.

Lauren Ellis, a junior at UNC, has been a fan of the band since high school and is impressed by the members' dedication.

I really respect how hard they work"" Ellis said.

While they've performed at other notable venues like Raleigh's Lincoln Theatre, Saturday's Memorial Hall show is going to be different.

Saturday's show will include new covers and original songs as well as some surprises.

It will be the largest venue they've played. They also will include horns and a female vocalist for the first time.

If you like music" you'll enjoy it" Newson said.

HEAR ASCELLA VEGA
Time:
8 p.m. Saturday
Location: Memorial Hall
Info: www.ascellavega.com