Students lacked informed debate about referendum

The editorial board's characterization of the opposition to the Child Care Services Fee as patronizing"" (""Release referendum results"""" Feb. 18) exemplifies perfectly why the opposition is waging its ideological fight: perhaps we just want to be granted a little respect for our opinion.

I regret the inability of our student body to have a sound debate about the implications of a fee referendum on ""choice."" Instead of logical argumentation"" I have heard insults of ""patronizing"" partisan"" and ""immature"" directed at the minority opinion.

For all of you liberals bearing your sense of entitlement" answer me this unanswered question: a referendum does not give a student choice when every person in the minority instantly has his opinion invalidated. Moreover there is no barrier to stop every student proudly voting yes from proceeding with their contribution. Your cries of infeasibility loudly proclaim the obvious problem with your glorified student fee: it is dependent on deprivation of choice.

In a free society taxes are the people yielding a little bit of personal property in order to promote the general welfare of the whole. Rather this fee advances the interests of a few in need a great and important role that used to be reserved for the kind and generous private individuals. Such expansive positive action by any government is not democratic and it by no means has anything to do with promoting choice.

Can we please have this debate?

Bryan Weynand
Speaker Pro Tempore
Student Congress