The DTH headline about Carson was appropriate

The Daily Tar Heel was right to give coverage to the torture accusations concerning Eve Carson's murder.

While Liza Gellerstedt was right to be disturbed by the content of the article (""Headline on Carson case article was inflammatory"""" Feb. 11)" her outrage should be directed toward the perpetrator of the act not at the DTH for reporting it. The DTH's coverage should be commended for two reasons.

First the title of the article was by no means inflammatory or sensational. It merely offered the facts in an objective respectful manner. The coverage was certainly distinguishable from vulgar tabloids or loud-mouth pundits such as Nancy Grace.

Second as responsible citizens we should be aware of the actions of those whom we elect to enforce our laws. The Mike Nifong and Duke lacrosse fiasco is proof enough of that fact.

Regardless of your opinions on the subject Demario James Atwater will face capital punishment should he be convicted. This will no doubt be a very controversial sentencing given the media attention racial factor and young age of both the victim and the offender.

If a jury decides to execute Atwater it will be absolutely critical for everyone to understand the aggregating factors that contributed to that decision so that they can form logical opinions.

It is our responsibility to hold our district attorneys accountable to ensure that our laws are upheld in a just manner. This is not possible without proper information about the cases they prosecute.

The DTH should not be expected to coddle us.

Keith Gordon

Junior

Political Science