UNC is creating a research outpost off the coast of Ecuador to better understand ecological problems in the Galapagos Islands.

The outpost which eventually will include a dormitory is part of a collaboration between UNC and the University of San Francisco Quito in Ecuador.

The center will permit faculty and students to go to the islands and study how tourism is affecting the environment said Tony Waldrop" vice chancellor for research and economic development.

""The three main problems facing the Galapagos are population" health and environment" said Steve Walsh, a geography professor who has been travelling to the Galapagos for several years.

Researchers say most of the problems facing the Galapagos are due to an influx of tourism in the past 30 years.

The islands were made famous by Charles Darwin's study of its native species in 1835. Ecuador's government has considered restricting tourism to the archipelago because of environmental risks.

As they build hotels and roads to support tourists" the environment changes" said Amy McCleary, a graduate student who has been to the Galapagos multiple times to conduct research for her dissertation.

McCleary said that although many of the locals have negative views on the increased tourism, many have benefitted financially from the growth.

Increasing population brings more crime to the area" but it also allows natives to earn a living she said.

Walsh and McCleary's projects have involved studying invasive plants and animals that are taking over areas previously inhabited by native species.

Animals like goats who travel in very large packs are starting to compete with tortoises for the same habitat" Walsh said, adding that further research will help scientists to figure out why that happens.

Blackberries and guava have also been taking over space once inhabited by native plants, McCleary said.

A group of faculty and students interested in researching the Galapagos meets occasionally to discuss the progress they have made on the island outpost and their plans for the future partnership with the Ecuadorian university.

The group also helped initiate a class on the Galapagos that Walsh will teach at UNC this fall, McCleary said.

We also want to collaborate with the Study Abroad Office so that not only graduate students" but all UNC students can have the opportunity to go there McCleary said.

McCleary said the great thing about the Galapagos project is that the University is involved.

What's nice is the whole community has a role in building this outpost she said.

Departments like geography marine sciences public health and sociology are just a few of the members involved in this diverse" schoolwide project.""