Despite looming budget cuts" the University is making an effort to hire more faculty with environmental expertise as well as to achieve more with the research already happening.

The goal: to help solve global problems like global warming and declining oil supplies.

Tom Clegg  an associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences" said there is a ""broad campus initiative"" to expand research in areas like solar energy and hydrology.

""We need to understand these problems"" he said. We need to be training students to understand these problems.""

Clegg echoes priorities laid out by Chancellor Holden Thorp in his May acceptance speech. In it" he said UNC's goals need to expand to include worldwide environmental goals" like finding and inventing clean energy.

""Holden understands these issues"" Clegg said. He clearly was part of the discussions which identified environmental science and environmental studies as important.""

The administrative support remains even with the current budget situation" which is making hiring new faculty difficult across campus.

But Cindy Shea director of UNC's Sustainability Office" said expanding the number of faculty with environmental expertise will still be important.

""Even with budget constraints" the chancellor has been very clear that when we figure out how to respond to these budget cuts it won't be just across the board" she said.

She said a number of new faculty have already been hired who have expertise in environmental and sustainability research. 

In the law school, faculty with knowledge about carbon markets have been hired. Other faculty have been hired in the Kenan-Flagler Business School that have knowledge about sustainable business practices.

Clegg said the College of Arts and Sciences also has told Provost Bernadette Gray-Little that one of its main priorities is the environment.

We will be looking for faculty with that expertise"" he added.

In addition to hiring more faculty, he said there needs to be an effort to combine faculty research both in solar energy and hydrology.

For example, David Moreau is researching water use in the Southeastern United States as part of the curriculum for the environment and ecology.

Related research is occurring at the Institute for the Environment, which includes undergraduate programs in environmental science and environmental studies.

There are lots of people who have expertise" and we need to figure out how to bring them together" Clegg said.

Shea, who began work at the center in 2001, said the University has placed more emphasis on environmental research as environmental problems have become more visible.

I've seen it grow in importance every year since I've been here"" she said.