Western Civ has come a long way since it moved to Chapel Hill from Alabama. Looking back on its  transition from small town to college town home demos to studio-recorded albums Western Civ prepares for the release of its newest album Shower the People You Love With Gold with an upcoming release party at Local 506 with fellow Chapel Hillians Embarrassing Fruits and Mitch Easter.

While its new release and rising success might indicate otherwise Western Civ arose out of humble high school beginnings. In the same way that many bands take shape Western Civ began as three high school friends who met occasionally to jam slowly developing a cohesive sound and a few self-penned songs.

After band members went their separate ways for four years the three members reunited and in the words of frontman and guitarist Rich Henderson" ""took it more seriously and it all kind of grew from there.""

After years of finding their musical identity" Western Civ has honed its method of songwriting to a multi-step" collaborative process.

""I write 90 percent of them myself" Henderson said. I'll show them a part I have in mind and they'll usually put their own spin on it. I come up with maybe the superstructure of the song myself" and they fill in the gaps a little bit.""

Henderson draws inspiration for Western Civ's songs through an almost academic study of music"" a method of listening that makes car radio listeners look like amateurs.

""I listen to music at least two or three hours a day" Henderson stated matter-of-factly. I listen to music the way some people might sit down and read a book" just listen to music and focus on it. I don't want to listen unless I can focus on it.""

And given the blues rock sound of Western Civ"" Henderson's musical palette might be surprising.

""Probably the biggest influences are from the 1960s or the 1990s"" he said, citing artists ranging from Brian Wilson to Pavement and Yo La Tengo.

This amalgamation of inspirations helps to account for Western Civ's idiosyncratic style. Henderson was quick to point out that Western Civ doesn't subscribe to many other artists' musical formula.

I don't see why so much music has to be a commercial for someone's point of view. I just try to put words together that sound poetic to me"" he  said. I think we're definitely more music-based and less message-based.""

As the band celebrates the numerous changes looming on the horizon"" Henderson is particularly eager to play tonight. ""I'm really happy to be playing with the other two bands" he said. I really like the Embarrassing Fruits a lot" and Mitch Easter's just a living legend. I'm surprised he's getting on the stage with us. We're pretty honored.""

And what makes a quality gig in the opinion of Henderson?

""I definitely like the ones with a real stage and a real sound guy"" he said. That's always a plus.""

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.